Quick, easy, creamy, and crunchy—yogurt toast is a simple breakfast with impressive vibes. It combines all the goodness of cheesecake, custard, and French toast into one piece of bread, so you feel like you’re getting a slightly sweet dessert and wholesome breakfast all in one.
What Is Yogurt Toast
Yogurt Toast, or Custard Yogurt Toast is the extremely popular viral breakfast from TikTok. TikTok is known for creating fun and quirky ways to make new dishes, often out of staples you have right in your kitchen, and yogurt toast is no exception.
The recipe is simple: take an egg, Greek yogurt, maple syrup, and vanilla extract, and whisk them together to form a “custard”. The custard is then poured in the hollowed out wells of two slices of bread. Top with berries or chocolate chips (to be honest the possibilities here are endless) and air fry or bake. Start to finish in less than 15 minutes, this recipe is an easy and mess free breakfast.
One of the original videos of this technique by _moody_day compares it to a quick and easy cheesecake, and we have to agree. The tang from the Greek yogurt gives it a similar taste profile to the cream cheese in cheesecake. But this recipe is far easier and there’s no water bath required. The filling is also not as eggy as a custard can be. So even if you don’t care for eggs, this recipe is a hit.
It's a great recipe for kids to make since there's plenty of room for variation in toppings and there's little cooking involved.
“This dish is super easy to make. The taste is reminiscent of a cheese danish. The juxtaposition of crunch from the bread and creaminess from the custard elevates it. I love the versatility of this recipe; you can use any fat yogurt, any berry, you can even add chocolate chips, or experiment with seasonal produce. ” —Jacqueline Tris
A Note From Our Recipe Tester
1 large egg
3 tablespoons Greek yogurt (any variety or fat percentage works)
2 to 3 teaspoons sweetener, such as maple syrup, honey, or agave
1 splash pure vanilla extract
2 slices good quality sandwich bread, preferably brioche or challah
1/4 cup berries of choice
2 tablespoons chocolate chips, optional
Confectioners' sugar, optional
Steps to Make It
Gather the ingredients.
Whisk together the egg, yogurt, sweetener, and vanilla extract in a small bowl. You want to really mix these ingredients together well using a fork or a small whisk. Keep whisking until the mixture is completely smooth and begins to look glossy, making sure there are no lumps.
Take one slice of your bread and press down the center. Leave a border of crust, but press down most of the soft part of the bread to form a well.
Pour half of the yogurt mixture onto the bread, spreading into an even layer. The amount will vary based on the size, thickness, and type of bread you use.
Scatter half the berries or chocolate chips over the top. Get creative and make it fun with a design of your choice. Repeat with the second slice of bread.
Air fry (with one slice on each of two levels), at 350 F for 7 minutes (if your air fryer is standard single layer, air fry one slice at a time for 7 minutes).
Check on the bread as it is cooking. You are looking for a glossy sheen and caramelized edges of the yogurt filling and golden brown toasted bread. Alternatively, you can bake both slices in a preheated 350 F oven for 12 to 15 minutes.
Allow the toast to cool for a minute or two, then dust with confectioners' sugar, if desired. Slice and serve immediately.
- Preheating the air fryer didn’t prove to make a huge difference in the cooking time or process. Preheat or don’t preheat and you will get very similar results.
- If you want a firmer texture to the custard, use a thinner layer of filling. Too thick of a layer and the bread will brown before the custard is cooked through.
- We opted for 2 teaspoons of maple syrup but if you like it sweeter (or less sweet) add more or less.
- Vanilla extract is the perfect compliment to the flavor of the custard, but feel free to try other sweet spices like cinnamon or nutmeg.
- Raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, and strawberries all work extremely well as toppings. Just make sure if you’re using strawberries, that you slice them thinly before adding to the custard.
- Mini chocolate chips are a cute variation to regular chocolate chips. Milk, semi-sweet, or dark, whatever you prefer.
- Top with confectioners' sugar or a drizzle of honey or maple syrup. Serve with more fruit if you like.
What Kind of Bread Should I Use for Yogurt Toast?
The short answer is brioche or challah, but you can use any kind of bread you like. Just avoid using breads that have large holes, like sourdough. The custard mixture will leak through the holes and make a mess of your air fryer. We like the rich, eggy quality that brioche lends itself nicely to the creamy custard.